Fire Consumes Building at Ghana Street

Front view of the building

 

Fire has completely razed part of a building at Ghana Street Nkwen. The exact cause of the fire is still uncertain. An eye witness told Bamenda Online that the fire erupted about 8:20 am from one of the rooms behind the building and quickly spread over to the neigbouring rooms. All the occupants he said rushed out of the building before the fire could gain ground

 

By the time BamendaOnline.net arrived the scene the fire had already consumed over two third of the building with only the front part that housed a restaurant and a tailoring and hair saloon workshop were spared. We met neigbours using buckets of water, a pip connected to a nearby stand tap and bare soil to combat the flames.

 

The back part of the building was completely destroyed

 

The fire razed every thing in the building

A neigbour to the building told me they had placed several calls to the Army Rescue Unit but were informed that the lone fire fighting vehicle they have was on duty at Mil 8 Mankon combating a similar fire accident. When they finally arrived the scene some 45 minutes late, the team leader “Adjudant Chef” Ngacha said they had been held up by traffic and ran into a collision at one point as they tried to negotiate their way all across town. He deplored the conduct of some motorist that fail to make way for the army rescue when ever there is an emergency making it extremely difficult for them to intervene promptly,

 

The arrival of the Army Rescue Unit help put out the fire completely. Property destroyed is estimated in hundred of thousands. The neighbours succeeded to rescue a couch and a few chairs from the building while owners of the restaurant and hair and tailoring workshop succeeded to clear out every belonging.

 

The fire Brigade arrived several minutes late

 

By the time we left the scene the where about of the occupant of the part of the building that was destroyed was not known. Her part of the building serve as a sleeping quarter and warehouse for the brother’s second hand electronic equipment many of which was destroyed in the accident.

[ultimate 1 /]

[poll id=”2″]

By Abongwa Fozo

3 Responses to Fire Consumes Building at Ghana Street

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » appearance » Widgets » and move a widget into Advertise Widget Zone