Google+ MINSEC to Push Through With End of Course Examination Despite Anglophone Crisis | Bamenda Online

MINSEC to Push Through With End of Course Examination Despite Anglophone Crisis

Secondary Education minister welcomed at GBHS Down Town

Jean Ernest Bibehe, the embattled minister of Secondary Education has been visiting some schools in Bamenda today to assess the level of preparedness of some GCE and BAC accommodation centres ahead of the end of course examination in both the English and French subsystems of education.

Jean Ernest Massena Bibehe visited GBHS Downtown, GBHS Nitop, GBTTC Bamenda and GBHS Bamendankwe where he found some students writing mock at both ordinary and advanced levels.

In a working session at the regional delegation for secondary education Principals raised worries about the security of candidates, state of preparedness of the schools and their candidates, names of those who were registered manually and didn't appear on the list, some accommodation centers that don't carry all papers, how these students will be transported to and from the examination centres amongst others.

Teachers of GBTTC Bamenda lined up to welcome the minister

At GBHS Nitop

Student writiing Pre-Mock at GBHS Down Town

Reacting to these worries, NW  Governor, Adolph Lele Lafrique said measures have been put in place in to secure all the candidates that would turn up for the various examinations. He said security would be provided to all the accommodation centers. He urged the public to adopt the slogan "see something, say something" as a means to weed out any potential trouble. Mr. Lele Lafrique added that the idea of “ghost town” has taken gripped of the region and people are scared for no reason. He urged all and sundry to be one another's keeper.

 Yesterday, the MP for Bamenda – Bali, Hon. Fobi Nchinda questioned the minister’s insistence for the examination to go ahead despite the fact that the school year has not been effective and the region is in the middle of a crisis.

Minister Bibehe, instead use today's tour to push forward with his agenda and in a loud tone scolded school heads to stop complaining of not being prepared for the examinations and that he did not came to plead for exams to hold but to know where to assist as the exams draw nearer, for as he puts it “the exams must hold”.  He advised that afternoon sessions should begin 1pm to end before 5 pm for security imperatives.           

It also emerged from the GCE Board that 40.573 candidates have registered for the examination in the Northwest Region and that a total of 180 000 candidates where expected to be registered in both levels nationwide, but they GCE Board is short of that figure by some 50 000 candidates.

The Principal of our lady of Lourdes College Mankon, sister Mary Kemjei said her institution is not ready to write the GCE because her students left on December 9 and none has returned since then while the ones who are well to do have gone to other regions and she still finds a handful of them in town and not preparing for the examination and that in all sincerity her institution is not prepared.                       

For the students who registered manually and their names are not on the list, they will be allowed to write and their names forwarded to the GCE board the registrar assured the stakeholders.  The minister also added that for students who are ready with their registration on the day or before that day a special center will be created for them to write the exams.  He ended by saying that they would be no more extension because there have already been four extensions.  The practical part of the examination starts Monday May 14, and the written session as from June 12, 2017. Candidates would also pbe permitted to write in assorted dresses.

By Pedmia Shatu                       

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*